Over the course of this semester, I was able to explore an interest that I have been drawn to for the longest time but never dived into: photo editing. I researched different editing software and settled on Corel PaintShop Pro 2021 Ultimate. It is a one time purchase program and doesn’t require a yearly subscription renewal like other software. The only unfortunate thing about choosing Corel PaintShop is that there isn’t a wide array of resources to use other than tutorials or articles from their website or videos from various users on YouTube.
I began my learning journey using a picture of my chill self (lazy weekend wear) and played around with a few photo enhancing settings, blemish removal, and vignette. Nothing too fancy, I just wanted to ease my way into my learning project.
Color splash photos have always been super visually appealing to me and so learning how to do that was definitely on my list of things I wanted to try! I used 3 different photos which all required using different methods to achieve the color splash result. Because of its jagged edges, the pink weed photo required using the magic wand selection tool to isolate the area I wanted colored. And since there was more than one area that I wanted colored in the photo of my mom, my sister, and I, I had to add layers then erase from one layer in order for the main picture to display the areas I wanted to create the desired effect. I used this same technique to create the color splash of the bee as I wanted it to bee (play on words!) vibrant. I loved learning how to create this effect!
We were to download and assess an app. I used PicsArt and wasn’t a huge fan of how it was set-up. I liked the features it offered but took too many steps to go in and out of each editing element that it deterred me from wanting to use this app in the future. The PicsArt website offers some neat templates and I might access that in the future but the app, not so much.
I still wanted to create something with it and used my favorite tree in our city park. I used color exposure and a patterned brush tool.
I wanted to learn how to remove objects. There were a few photos I had in mind. So I removed text from one and a person from another.
This week was by favorite! I really should’ve saved this until the last week as I wanted to present progressively cool things but instead I did this second last and ended very anti-climatically. Oh well. This photo isn’t particularly “fake-news” quality but I still really like this picture and really enjoyed creating it! There’s a lot of steps involved with this photo so check out my original post if you’re interested in the process.
This was probably my least favorite week and felt that since my masking photo was a relatively boring result that I needed to compensate by presenting two techniques. So I gave a shot at adding a mask and doing a mirror/reflection effect.
Overall, I really enjoyed this learning project and look forward to continuing working with different techniques and hopefully exploring video editing next!